Welcome to the Costume Lounge by Angela King Designs

Sit back and relax in The Costume Lounge - a blog by Angela King Designs and Go Wild! Wear. Since 1989, AKD has been creating top fashions in cheerleading, dance and performance wear. In the Costume Lounge, we discuss today's hottest trends and topics, who's wearing what, how to get the competitive edge in performance fashion and more. Once you are caught up on the latest news, browse our fashions at www.gowildwear.com or drop us a line at sales@gowildwear.com. Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Alexa's Blog - My Year as the Face of AKD, #2

Hey everyone, I hope you’re enjoying your summer… a lot has happened since my first post! Back in May, I was rounding out my season with the New Orleans Hornets Honeybees (now Pelicans) and graduating from Tulane! It only gets better from there... 

I am unbelievably excited to reveal that I am a new member of the 2013-14 Brooklynettes! I can’t wait to share my journey with you. While the audition process certainly pushed me to my limits, every second was absolutely worth it.

When I was surrounded by over 300 dancers on the morning of June 15, the idea of being a Brooklynette seemed light-years away. After learning an across the floor combination and an intricate routine to Beyoncé’s “Grown Woman” (which included a vogue death drop!), I survived three cuts and made it to the next day of auditions. Here’s a picture of me about to hit the floor!

The next day, 39 hopefuls and I were introduced to the 10 returning Brooklynettes. As they strutted into the gym dressed in coordinated camouflage outfits, we knew these women meant business! Brooklyn-born choreographer Rhapsody taught us a routine to “Grind or Die” by Eve. We only had one chance to perform it for the judges, so it was go hard… or go home! Thankfully I was one of the 32 finalists to make it to training camp, but I knew my work was far from over.


Training camp required finalists to participate in a quick interview, learn a short athletic routine and clean Rhapsody’s dance to perform at finals. I exceeded my expectations when it came to the athletic routine; I never thought I would be able to do the tricks they threw at us! As training camp came to an end, I felt the pressure of finals weigh on me. The next day, we performed the athletic routine for the judges in groups of 10 and Rhapsody’s piece in pairs. We patiently waited for the judges to deliberate, and after an hour they came back into the studio to announce a team of 20 talented and gorgeous dancers… and I was one of them! I cannot wait to work with and learn from my new teammates; I am already feeling so blessed to be on the BEST dance team in the NBA!

The excitement did not end there. The following day, I auditioned to film a Good Morning America segment for Madonna’s “Addicted to Sweat” workout DVD. Out of 500 dancers and fitness-enthusiasts, myself, fellow Brooklynette Amy and about 30 others were chosen to burn off some calories with the one-and-only Madonna herself! Here we are after a long and exhausting day, but the memory will last a lifetime.

What an introduction back into the New York dance scene! Just another day in the life of a dancer I suppose. Hard work really does pay off!

I can't wait to return to show you more behind the scenes of my rookie season with the Brooklynettes, capture my first photo shoot as the Face of AKD and unveil the "Alexa" Collection available exclusively at Go Wild! Wear

Dream BIG!

Alexa

Meet Alexa on Facebook

Visit the AKD Sports Model Search Website

No comments:

Post a Comment