Welcome to the Costume Lounge by Angela King Designs

Sit back and relax in The Costume Lounge - a blog by Angela King Designs and Go Wild! Wear. Since 1989, AKD has been creating top fashions in cheerleading, dance and performance wear. In the Costume Lounge, we discuss today's hottest trends and topics, who's wearing what, how to get the competitive edge in performance fashion and more. Once you are caught up on the latest news, browse our fashions at www.gowildwear.com or drop us a line at sales@gowildwear.com. Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Alexa's Blog- My Year as the Face of AKD, # 3

Hey Costume Lounge visitors! I hope this post finds you well. Sit back and relax because I have a big update for you!

On July 25th, I finally made my way to San Antonio for my AKD and Go Wild! Wear photoshoot. I was so excited to finally meet Angela and the rest of the AKD staff; Marissa (AKD’s Production and Marketing Assistant) even greeted me with a gorgeous bouquet of flowers when I got off of the plane! From the airport, Angela, Marissa, and Sharon (AKD’s General Manager) and I went to lunch at Boudros, a restaurant along the famous San Antonio River Walk. Then we walked to the Alamo and visited the Long Barracks Museum there; I always love to find out the history behind the places I’m visiting! We then headed to Angela’s home in McQueeney where I stayed at her guest house on the lake—what a beautiful and peaceful setting! Later that evening, we enjoyed the water ski show where two of Angela’s children, Gerrit and Ava, showed off some of their tricks. The show was very entertaining and it was great to see how supportive Angela and her family were of each other!

The next day was the big day—my photoshoot! I couldn’t wait to model all of the latest AKD designs, but I was also eager to see which of my designs Angela chose to make. When I arrived at the shoot, I easily spotted my designs out of the large rack of uniforms—the vibrant colors immediately caught my eye and were hard to miss! The four finished sets were identical to my designs, and it was amazing to see my personal ideas brought to life.

Here is a behind-the-scenes picture of me sporting my coral one-shouldered design with Angela:


I can’t thank her enough for believing in me and my dream of designing dance wear! We finished the day with a lovely dinner in Gruene at the Gristmill River Restaurant and listened to some live music at Gruene Hall, the oldest dance hall in Texas.

Next, it was off to Pro Action Dance at the Palms in Las Vegas! I was excited to attend the convention for the second year in a row; last year I went on behalf of the Honeybees, and this year I was representing AKD! I loved seeing familiar faces from professional and college dance teams and meeting new ones as well; the dancers and choreographers alike created a motivating, positive and fun atmosphere for everyone in attendance. It was also an honor to learn from the one and only Tabitha and Napoleon D’umo, better known as Nappytabs! Throughout the weekend, I sported my four designs as well as Angela’s designs in class. I was unbelievably humbled by the compliments I received about my designs and grateful that they were well received. The AKD booth remained busy as well, with Angela, Sharon and Rani (AKD Style Pro) doing a wonderful job engaging current and potential AKD clients; everyone couldn’t get enough of AKD at Pro Action Dance!

When we weren’t working in Vegas, we certainly took the opportunity to enjoy ourselves and each other’s company. From delicious dinners to a memorable Pro Action cocktail party in the Palms’ Two Story Sky Villa (check out the picture below of us on the hilarious rotating bed!), it was wonderful getting to know Angela’s longtime colleagues in the industry. Watching Angela reunite with her closest friends was an absolute joy; there was a sparkle in her eye and you could tell she was in her element.

After the final performance at the Pro Action Showcase, I was sad to leave Angela, Sharon, and Rani. However, I couldn’t help but be thankful for the opportunities gained and connections made on the trip. Once again, I cannot thank Angela enough for her hospitality, guidance, and generosity. She along with AKD have definitely made an impact on my life, and I can only hope to one day inspire others in the same way she has!


Next month, I’ll be writing about a very exciting international trip I have in a few weeks with the Brooklynettes! Can you guess where we’re headed? Here’s a hint—it is known as the “Lion City.” Come back next month to see if you’re correct!

Dream BIG!

Alexa

No comments:

Post a Comment